Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Recipe: Eggs en Cocotte

I came across this recipe for Eggs en Cocotte on goodbite.com and it reminded me of that lovely dineLA meal that I had at RH at the Andaz when I ordered the perigoudine poached egg which is a fancier variation of the Eggs en Cocotte. I was excited to try this recipe and the fact that it was filed under the "Quick and Easy" category was a big plus! Could I possibly create something that elegant and beautiful? Gosh darn it, I was going to try.

The recipe mentioned that you could add any additional items such as browned sausage or sauteed mushrooms to the bottom of the ramekin. Think I'd try a poor man's version of the perigoudine poached egg. Instead of foie, I was going to use pate. No truffles of course.

The recipe is so simple and you'll only need a few ingredients: eggs and any other fillings you want. In my case, I went for mushrooms and pate. I sauteed the mushrooms in a pan with a little non stick cooking spray.

4 variations from top left and going clockwise (plain, pate & mushrooms, pate only and mushrooms only). Be sure to grease the ramekins first with unsalted butter.

Add an egg to each ramekin and place in water bath in preheated 400ºF oven.

Since I was having this for dinner, I cooked mine a little longer because I didn't want it all runny (about 15 minutes). For a runnier yolk which is perfect for breakfast, cook for about 12 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper.

Eggs en Cocotte with Mushroom

Eggs en Cocotte with Pate and Mushrooms

Eggs en Cocotte with Pate, which I mixed together.

Naturally my favorite was the pate and mushroom combination because it was the best of both worlds. The mushrooms were woodsy and added some liquid to the egg. The pate was warm and almost a little creamy. I was really surprised that it turned out so well because I could not find a recipe online that used pate so I wasn't sure how the pate would turn out. It isn't foie gras but it still added that rich, livery taste.

The good thing about this recipe is that it's a fun, beautiful and healthy brunch dish which can be customizable for your guests. Cook this for them and they'll be impressed!

Eggs en Cocotte Recipe

Adapted from Hungry Cravings blog
http://www.hungrycravings.com/2009/04/eggs.html

Ingredients
Unsalted butter, for greasing the ramekins
2 fresh cremini mushrooms, diced
Garlic salt
2 tbsp pate
4 large eggs
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Spray pan with non stick cooking spray. Saute mushrooms and lightly season with garlic salt. Remove from heat. Mix half portion of the cooked mushrooms with 1 tbsp of pate.
Butter 4 ramekins. Add mushroom & pate mixture to the bottom of one ramekin. Add the remaining half portion of mushrooms in another ramekin. Add 1 tbsp of pate to the third ramekin. Leave the last ramekin empty.
Add an egg to each ramekin and place them into a roasting pan. Add hot water to the roasting pan until it comes half way up the sides of the ramekins and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or more if desire. Remove from the water bath and season to taste with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

yutjangsah said...

this looks easy and delicious.

stuffycheaks said...

Hi yutjangsah,

Yes it was easy! I popped it in the oven, cleaned up my kitchen and before i knew it, it was done :)