Monday, September 27, 2010

Larchmont Bungalow, where lunch doesn't have to suck

I don't get out of the office much for lunch. With all the heavy eating that I do for dinner, I usually try to hit the gym or eat my homemade turkey sandwich at my desk for lunch. But once in a while, I venture out of the office to treat myself to something that isn't packaged cold cuts. When I do get out, I like to visit Larchmont Bungalow.

Part coffee house, part tea shop, part cafe, Larchmont Bungalow is quaint. Almost like a little cottage.

They offer up amazing colorful desserts from cupcakes to cakes.

They also have various baked goods.

Their food menu is rather extensive- you could spend many lunches here and still barely scratch the surface. There are so many salads, sandwiches, wraps, burgers options. They also have breakfast all day long - apparently their red and blue velvet pancakes are killer. They are definitely next on my list. In looking at the menu, you'll notice that the dishes all look interesting (jerk chicken wrap, bison chili burger, hummus club), fresh and relatively healthy.

Southern fried chicken wrap with peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes in southern BBQ sauce
The wrap was enormous and filled to the brim with a generous amount of chicken. The meat was tender and the fried skin held its crunch within the wrap. The mango, papaya and cucumber salad was a refreshing side to the filling wrap.

Lobster and crab Sandwich, tossed in truffle oil, celery, dill and basil
This is as indulgent a lunch sandwich can get. Lobster, crab and truffle oil. The truffle was aromatic and really richen the flavors of the sandwich. The lobster and crab were fresh and in nice large chunks. There was a bit too much dill for me but that's just a personal preference. For the side, I opted for the poutine with cheese on the side. Yes.. french fries are good, but french fries AND gravy is even better. You would think that you'll curl over with a tummy ache and regret eating all of this for lunch, but in fact it didn't seem too heavy.

Chocolate cigar was right at the counter and I couldn't resist. It's OK, I'll save it for the evening, perhaps for dessert.

With chocolate chips in the center and chocolate drizzled exterior, this puppy didn't lasted a couple hours. I devoured it in my office in between meetings.

The thing I like most about the food here, is that you'll walk away without feeling gross. Even the french fries don't leave you with a greasy lining in your stomach. That's key especially if you have to head back to the office and actually get some work done. Larchmont Bungalow shows you that lunch need not be depressing. You don't have to be stuck with a crappy sandwich of processed meats. In fact, you can have the option to choose from many tempting items. You can have lobster for lunch. You can have a healthy yet satisfying meal. And you can have a chocolate cigar at your desk afterwards, if you'd like.

Hits: decor, extensive menu, healthy
Misses: no booze (yet)
Rating: ***

Larchmont Bungalow
107 N. Larchmont Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA 90004
(323) 461-1528
http://www.larchmontbungalow.com/

4 comments:

Diana said...

You're a turkey sandwicher at your desk too? I knew I liked you! ;)

I actually have a Blackboard Eats code for this place. Will definitely need to make sure I don't let it expire like all my other codes! Eek!

stuffycheaks said...

diana, you might wanna check, I think the BBE might be for Larchmont Larder.. not bungalow, right? both good.

Banana Wonder said...

I want your lobster and crab sammie! Damn!

sku said...

I've been meaning to try this place but didn't know if it was worth it. Thanks for the review! I'm all over the chocolate cigar.