Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Heineken Holiday Party @ H.Wood

When my friend J had an extra invite to the Heineken Holiday Party, I just had to go. Even if it meant trekking to Hollywood on a weekend. Or going to a club on a Saturday night. And even if it means putting on a dress and heels (I love my flip flops, halter top and hoodies).

The party was held at H.Wood, a club located by the Kodak Theatre and Hollywood & Highland. It's surprisingly more of a lounge than club. I liked the decor and ambiance of the two story club. There are various rooms, nooks and corners that give the feel of a living room. One of the rooms looked like a library, complete with bookcases and antiques. The chandeliers, couches and dim lighting transforms this place into a sexy, plush setting.

Naturally, there was ample supply of Heinekens.

But as usual, I opted for Champagne most of the night.

There was also no shortage of food. Waiters brought round platters of hors d'oeuvres.

The chicken egg roll was actually pretty darn good. They were skinny and fresh off the fryer. The flavors almost reminded me of Vietnamese egg rolls or lumpias, instead of Chinese egg rolls.

Kobe Beef Sliders with arugula and ketchup

Just your usual slider but I liked the use of arugula over lettuce.

They also had a donut cart which rolled out fresh donuts.

These mini donuts were very tasty. They were soft, warm and airy, and sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

They also set up a few buffet stations, offering up a variety of items including a carving station.

My favorite was the pasta station. I prefer the freshly cooked pasta over food that had been sitting in a chafer.

My plate was piled with pasta with eggplant and mushrooms, baked seabass, polenta and mashed potatoes. The polenta was delicious. It was creamy and buttery.

After finishing our meal, we hit up the candy table where we selected our favorite candies.

Entertainment was in the form of gambling and dancing. Because I was wearing heels, I opted for the gambling. We spent most of our time at the Blackjack table, and also discovered that Pai gow poker wasn't that much fun.

Holiday parties are fun. Especially if there's tons of free food, open bar and some gambling involved. I liked the space at H.wood, but I won't be too quick to head over on a regular club night when I'll have to wait in line, pay cover, and put on a dress and heels again.

H.Wood
1738 N. Orange Dr.
Hollywood, CA 90028
(323) 871-2262
www.thehwood.com

2 comments:

bagnatic said...

looks like a well fed party. the donuts...ohhh, i like.

Banana Wonder said...

Nice party! And, uhm, your henie looks like champagne? ;)