Monday, March 7, 2011

Taverna (Austin): $1 Mimosas!! Need I say more?

Mimosa brunch is my favorite standing weekend plan, so even when I'm on vacation, I try to scout out good mimosa deals. During my recent trip to Austin, my internet search brought me to Taverna, an Italian restaurant located in the Warehouse District.

An outdoor seating area is crucial for a lovely afternoon brunch.

Taverna offers $1 Bellinis and Mimosas. The bellini was a bit too sweet for my taste. The mimosas was standard but could have been served colder. Both the glass and the drink itself was lukewarm. The waiter also took a long time to bring by our subsequent rounds of mimosas.

Eggs Al Forno all ‘Olio Tartufato ~ Two Pan-Fried Eggs with Breakfast Sausage served over Garlic Bread with Truffle Oil & Breakfast Potatoes
This is a pretty standard brunch dish but was elevated with a drizzle of truffle oil on top of the egg. The truffle oil was aromatic but subtle. The potatoes were soft and well seasoned.

I opted for the special of the day, which was a brisket hash with peppers, onions, soft poached eggs and hollandaise sauce (which I omitted). Unfortunately the beef brisket was rather tough. Thank goodness for the runny egg which helped to moisten the brisket.

Overall, the food was decent but nothing spectacular, the mimosas weren't chilled properly and the service was slow, but you really can't beat the $1 mimosas with outdoor seating.

Hits: $1 mimosas, patio
Misses: dry brisket, sweet bellini
Rating: **1/2

Taverna
258 West 2nd St.,
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 477-1001
www.tavernabylombardi.com

1 comment:

BAM said...

Hey Ms. Stuffy-cute blog! How can I email you suggestions though? For restaurants?? You can email me at rebecca AT bamcommunications.biz if you'd prefer.

Thanks and happy chomping!

Beck